Another great festive recipe from Amy! You can check her Instagram page out for more wonderful creations! https://www.instagram.com/amys_coffee_and_cakes/
Prep time – 1 hr | Cooking time – 25 mins
250g plain flour
1 tsp salt
250g unsalted plant-based butter
Small amount of plant-based milk for glaze
3 tbsp pistachio butter
200g roughly chopped assortment of mushrooms (I used chestnut and closed cup white)
30g/3tbsp dried cranberries
1 tbsp plant-based butter
½ small onion finely chopped
1 tsp thyme
¼ tsp salt
- Sift the flour and one tsp salt into a large bowl. Roughly break the butter into small chunks and add them to the bowl and rub them in loosely. You need to see bits of butter.
- Make a well in the bowl and pour in about two thirds of 150ml cold water. Mixing it until you have a rough dough, adding extra water if needed. Cover with cling film or put the dough in an airtight container and leave to rest for 20 minutes in the fridge.
- Meanwhile make the mushroom filling. Melt the butter, cook the onion for five minutes, until soft. Add the chopped mushrooms, cranberries, and thyme, cook for 10 minutes. Until the juices dry up. Remove from the heat and mix in the pistachio butter. Allow to cool.
- Continue the dough, place it on a lightly floured surface, knead gently and for into a smooth rectangle.
- Roll the dough in one direction only until 3 times the length about 20x50cm. keeping the edges straight and even. Don’t overwork the butter streaks; you should have a marbled effect.
- Fold the top third down to the centre, then the bottom third up and over that. Give the dough a quarter turn and roll out again to three times the length. Fold as before. Repeat this process two more times. Cover with cling film and chill for at least 20 minutes before rolling to use.
- Preheat the oven to 180C fan/190C/gas mark 6. Place baking parchment on a baking tray. Roll the dough out to a rectangle approx. 40x30cm trimming off the edges to straighten them up. Save these for decorating later.
- Cut the pastry into two longways. Then those into four making eight equal rectangles. Spoon the mixture onto the pastry so that it sits at one side. Fold over half the pastry to enclose the filling and make a parcel. Seal by gently pressing down with your fingers.
- Decorate with leftover pastry or just cut two steam holes in each parcel and brush with plant-based milk.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes or until golden. #
Enjoy warm or cold. Can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for a few days.